So just as I thought, I am spending halloween in bed watching tv instead of going out and partying like a normal uni student. Two reasons for this; I don’t want to spend all tomorrow hung over and not being able to do work and I don’t want to start NaNoWriMo with a bad (hungover) start! Also, just not feeling it this year – at all.
Also, my NaNoWriMo is going to be split up a little…
Being a final year, I have a 12,000 word dissertation due April 16th, so I thought ‘might as well use NaNoWriMo to get a decent amount of work done!’ so this year’s NaNo is being split up into:
1. Around 45,000 words of a new novel.
2. Around 5,000 (hopefully more) words of my dissertation being written.
The daily word count will stay at 1667 words per day but I can take the words written from both documents to go towards it. I think this is ideal for me and it’s my novel (and dissertation) so I can decide my word count! ^_^ Sound good enough?
It’ll probably go; Monday – Wednesday I focus on dissertation rather than novel (as I have classes those days) and my days off will be hitting the word count in my novel =]
I am excited to get started on my novel, although I am currently suffering from loving my 2nd Main character way more than my Main main character – anyone else?
If it’s already Nov. 1st for you then I HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL!!
If you’re in England (with me) then LET’S COUNT THESE 1HR AND 55 MINUTES DOWN IN STYLE!!
If you’re in America and way way far from your Nov. 1st starting then HANG IN THERE – IT’LL COME SOON!!
Also: Happy Halloween ^_^
Holy crap, holy crap, holy crap!!!! due to going out last night, and using all today to recover, I still haven’t finished my character profiles nor my world building!!!! Holy ****…..
I was really hoping this week, I’d be able to give you little character and world descriptions to see if you’re interested in the story and such but obviously that hasn’t happened and now I have about 28 hours and 16 minutes until NaNo begin and wow that is not enough time! Wish me luck?
How’s everyone else’s planning going?!
As you all know, I settled on an idea and got my plot structure sorted!
Woo, so you’re ready to go then Alex?
Unfortunately for me; creating the plot and story structure is the easiest part for me to do every time.
Here I am in (probably) the most difficult part for me personally; names. Whether it’s a character’s name, name of a city, name of a creature etc. I have so much difficulty choosing names, and even after choosing a name; most of the time I feel it either doesn’t match my character or I think ‘when someone reads this, they’ll think ‘what a shitty name!” and so this is probably where I feel my most stress.
Especially seen as this time I am writing a fantasy, and fantasies are known to feature characters with unique and very uncommon names.
So I would like to ask you all; how do you go about name characters/places/things?
And to add to that – as my story is a fantasy; I have to technically world build a lot. And I am having trouble thinking of names in terms of; can I get through this story without having to specific what time, what planet, what country these characters are in? Can I just get away with mentioning and describing the places they are in and travel to without getting into a massive scale world building project? What do you guys think?
Thank you for reading!!
I missed last week – sorry! – but I had like no progress. And now we are within a week of starting – I am freaking out!!
So progress is… last week I waddled it down to two story ideas – which is good – and
I am currently outlining both stories EDIT@3:56pm – I outlined the first story and loved where it was going so much that I didn’t even bother writing the second story (which I originally thought would be the winner!). So I have my story! Here is a little synopsis:
A small country boy sees a girl in a pub one night, she’s very quiet and reserved and she’s helping out. Seems innocent enough but one night he sees her get stopped by some perverts and he goes to help but she kicks their asses and uses magic and then she spots him and now he must accompany her so she is sure he’ll never tell anyone ever again. Her mission is to kill but who? Is he on the right side?!
Sound good enough? I am very excited to write this now!!
I think I will give another update about my plans during the week; what would you prefer to hear about; setting/locations? magic system? characters? title ideas? Let me know!
How is your NaNoWriMo plan going?
First we had this.
Then we had this.
And now, we once again, have this!
Basically, my reasons are;
1. It’s my final year of uni so every minute is precious (having said that…)
2. I have early morning lectures so which finish at lunch, so because I have to get up early; I (if I had motivation) want to get my ‘homework’ done asap and then nap and chill or I just don’t wanna do anything for the rest of the day.
3. My days off are spent either doing hours of extra work on top of my ‘homework’ or writing my dissertation/thesis or spending what precious time I have left together with the friends around me.
4. I walk everywhere on campus so I don’t have travel or waiting time where I’m able to take out a book and read.
5. At night I either get like 10minutes of reading done before I fall asleep or I’m asleep before I can even pick me book up – which is why Warm Bodies and Game of Thrones haven’t been read and finish yet!
6. It’s just so much easier (and a way of learning) for me to just spend hours watch Japanese and Korean TV than it is picking a book up.
I feel like I’ve kinda let you all, and myself down, but I knew I wouldn’t be able to meet last years goal due to going into my final year this year, although I am surprised at how little I am reading. But with all the stress I have from my work; I’d rather just lazy and watch TV than have to concentrate and read – no matter how hard I want to be able to read my books! =[
It might go up again! December is the manga/comic book read-a-thon so maybe I’ll knock out my original reading goal in that time – but as of right now, I am far from my original reading goal of 48 books =/
This Week’s Theme: Top New Series I Want To Start – this one’ll be fun to do!! But too many series I want to start! So let’s go with ones that I don’t yet own but want to read ASAP!
1. The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson – this one was an obvious, I love Mr. Sanderson and want to get my mittens on this! Fingers crossed for Christmas – but should really finish Mistborn first xD
2. Heroes of Olympus Series by Rock Riordan – another author I love!! I loved the PJ Series and cannot wait to get around to this! I need more Greekness in my life!
3. The Powder Mage Series by Brian McClellan – this just looks amazing and sounds like it’ll be a hella lot of fun!
4. Codex Alera Series by Jim Butcher – another fantasy classic I haven’t bought or read yet =/ but really want to!
5. Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes – one of those that has mentions now and again on the web but is always high high praise and so; I want in!
6. The School for Good and Evil series by Soman Chainani – just look at that cover! It’s enough to make me want it now and read it now!
7. The Assassin’s Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke – Pirates and Assassins? I’m in! Although this year, the company went bust and shut down, so whether you’ll be able to purchase these books (and in this gorgeous cover design style) I don’t know – I assume someone’s picked the books up to publish…
8. Slintered by A. G. Howard – I love Alice in Wonderland and so this is a remake and a series and I wanna read it! Heard great this about it too!
9. Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman – we know I’ve been pining for this book all year!
10. The Inheritance Trilogy by N.K Jemisin – another fantasy classic that everyone has read bar me and I needs it!
And that’s my list! Any that I don’t have that you think I should make an ASAP-er? What’s on your list? Comment to tell me below or link me to your TTT!
I managed to finish a book earlier this week yay! But on the down side, I’m 4 books behind on my GoodReads Goal =[ luckily I’ve gotten all my work done early this week and am actually in a reading mood so; let’s hope for progress! What I’m currently reading and focusing on is:
Also, tomorrow is Dewey’s 24 Hour Read-a-Thon! and as already mentioned, I’m luckily in a reading mood. Seen as Warm Bodies is an easy book to read and the text is fairly big, that should be finished tonight/early tomorrow so then I want to read:
(I’m really not in the mood for supernatural/zombie stuff, so I’m not going to read my other ‘Halloween’-esque book just now) And also getting through some more of GoT never hurt anyone, except the characters xD
Have a great weekend!!